WYK Homecoming Concert was first launched last year with great success. The objective of the event was to enhance the bonding and interaction between the old boys and existing students of WYK, as well as to offer an opportunity for many of the old boys to showcase the musical talents of “Wah Yan Boys” at our mother school. This year, the PSA has endorsed the idea of organising such a meaningful event again.
The Organising Committee, which comprises representatives from WYK, WYKPA, and WYKPSA, has been formed. The following is an overview of our ideas about the concert:
- The concert will be held in the evening of 5 September 2009 at the school hall of Wah Yan College, Kowloon.
- As many of you are aware, September 2009 marks the beginning of the 85th anniversary of WYK. It has been agreed that the concert will be designated as a celebrating event of the PSA for such an important year.
- The theme of the concert will centre on the music of WYK over the past 85 years. As such, the performance undertaken this year would be a collection of genres which display our music tradition over our past golden period.
While the details of the concert programme are being worked on, the possible performances include:
- String instruments/ orchestra performance undertaken by the old boys and the existing students.
- Choir-singing undertaken by the WYK Old Boys (possibly including a mixed choir performance with our long-timed partners) and the existing school choir.
- Quartets or quintets (including instrumental and choral)
- Western Art Songs
- Chinese Orchestra
- Chinese Art Songs and Chinese Operas
- Band music/ folk songs (unplugged)
- Other combinations
The details of the programmes certainly will require further development and the Organising Committee will provide you further update in the coming weeks. Obviously the content of the programmes depends heavily on the level of participation from our old boys. Therefore, the Organising Committee would like to take this opportunity to sincerely invite our PSA members who are interested in joining as performers to show their interest, particularly for (but not limited to) those who are former school orchestra members, choir members and active musicians during their school days. For those of you who are interested, please as soon as possible (but in any event no later than 3 July 2009) contact our Mike Cheng (86) for choir performances and Ken Luk (99) for instrument performances, or any one of them for other performances.
We look forward to hearing from you.